Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Back to basics

It's been some time since my last post, and yesterday's incident told me why.

I had my worst hypoglycemic incident yesterday afternoon, my glucose level dropping to 2.4 mmol/L.
Anything below 4 mmol/L indicates, in general, an approaching a state of hypoglycemia (if I got my literature right). Measurement can be different depending on various conditions. I usually hit 3.9 or 3.4 and when this happens, I already feel weak, dizzy and my hands would already start to shake. Hitting 2.4 was a totally different story.

Yesterday, I had my usual bowl of chocolate Brinta for brunch (round 12 noon). Woke up late so no breakfast, and would've had blueberries with Brinta instead had I not dropped the blueberries on the floor, crushing them. Anyway, so I feasted on Brinta and nothing else after. None of my usual yoghurt, tomatoes or nuts. I felt quite full so just went on ticking away on my laptop and surfing. Around 2 I already felt some mild hunger pangs but I dismissed it. By 3, I woud've gotten something, but became obsessed with reading some article and chatting with friends. Before I knew it it was almost 4 and I was really hungry and light-headed. SInce I was just sitting the whole time on the sofa, I didn't realise I was already very weak. Out of curiosity, I checked my glucose level, expecting it to be a 4 or 3.9. When I saw 2.4 on the screen, I was amazed at first (actually said 'Woh!'). Amazement turned to panick when I became aware of how light-headed I was and how weak I was feeling. I felt confused and my muscles were like jelly. It was already, what I call, the advanced 'Pacman' stage: I have to eat anything and everything to satiate the hunger and get energy quickly, but without any power pellets, I couldn't move fast enough. I felt the ghosts approaching quickly, intent on gobbling me up.

I rushed to the kitchen, confused, and thinking, 'what to eat, what to eat'. I opened the closet and saw Martin's Pringles. Not good but I took a handful and stuffed my face. I forgot I had some mango/pineapple juice and I could've drank that, but since I stopped drinking fruit juices except on rare ocassions, I forgot I actually had one in the fridge at that moment. I decided to eat some baked beans from the can. I thought, easy to chew and swallow and goes well with Wasa crackers. Before I could open the can though, I felt something like an out-of-body experience (not that I can compare it to anything before), but it felt like I was for a second, disembodied. I could sort of see myself and knew I was going to lose consciousness soon. Pure weirdness. So I abandoned the baked beans and ran to the bottom of the stairs and shouted to Martin to come down and help me. I didn't want to faint and only to be diovered by Martin when he came down to get his beer ;-p. But seriously, it's a first-aid step: to inform people around you that you're exprencing hypoglycemia.

So, he came down and I started rambling about how I was feeling and that my glucose level was really low and could he warm the beans a bit, etc. He reminded me to take some sugar -- again, I forgot another basic first-aid step. I took a sugar cube (brown sugar) and popped in my mouth. Took another one for good measure, I thought and was already munching on a Wasa cracker when I laid down on the sofa, waiting for my baked beans. I felt extremely hot and my skin was clammy even with the door and windows open. Martin had to get the fan and I seriously wanted to just undress and lie naked on the sofa, if not for the fact that the neigbours might see. Didn't want to shock anyone else though ;-p

I just ate the beans as quickly as I could (again not good) and after 10 minutes, I felt better. In retrospect, I could've eaten less and more slowly, but I was on 'survival' mode. Just did what felt good. I checked my glucose level and it was 5.4, which was both god and bad. Good, as that's a normal value, but bad coz from a low of 2.4, my glucose level spiked to 5.4 in less than 15 minutes. So imagine, if this happens regularly or multiple times during the day, then my overall glucose levels would display drops and spikes, which is exactly what every diabetic should prevent from happening.

Anyway, this incident and the others that marked the past few weeks are telling me that I've not been paying attention to myself. I've lost a bit of focus since May when I was able to lower my glucose and cholesterol levels enough to avoid medication. Since then I've become a bit lax. Combined with a more active social life (means more lunch, dinner, drinks dates), I also was eating more carbs than normal. Not necessarily bad when you're in maintenance mode, but I still wanted to lose a bit more weight. Mind you, a more active social life for me is still not as active as what you probably have. But I digress ;-p

I have to get back on track, start to get anal again with my diet and eating schedule. Have to replan and get on the programme again. Need a good plan for when I am home as time management can be a bit too flexible, and need to stick to tha plan. Also need to get serious again with my Wii Fit and take the clothes off that are now creatively concealing my cross-trainer ;-p. It's back to basic, folks. Let's see how it goes.

3 comments:

  1. Hullo there! I am delighted to have found your blog. I'm also a modern day hobbit, and a type 2 diabetic who is working hard at making lifestyle changes. I created my blog today: thediabetichalfling.blogspot.com
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello fellow halfling! delighted to meet you! this is a funny coincidence albeit the not so nice situation we find ourselves in. but as you've said, we're working hard to make changes and that's what counts! i'll be watching your space ;-) good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning! Just after I finished writing my comment my connection failed (I'm composing this on my iPhone). Argh! So let me try this again. I'm always very curious to see what other type 2s eat for breakfast. My diabetic body does not tolerate cereal or oatmeal. So now this my new breakfast: 1/2 cup of 2% milkfat cottage cheese, 2 tablespoons of berries (wild blueberries are my favourite) and 2 tablespoons of raw cashews.

    ReplyDelete