Monday, August 17, 2009

Quarterly check-up results are in (plus what this hobbit's been doing the last 3 months)

Just got back from my quarterly check-up and the results are looking good. Still no need to go on medication. w00t!


Weight loss and the drop in glucose level aren't as 'impressive' as the last time, but I think that's ok. Still not the 50 kg from college when I was 19, but heh, who am I kidding ;-p. Glucose level hasn't gone down as much as I would've wanted but I sort of expected that given the changes in the last 3 months (updates below). However, it hasn't gone up either which is, as Borat would say "...a very good. I like.' ;-)

As for cholesterol, that's the great unknown as I didn't do an extensive blood test this time. I still have to bring down the level of bad carbs (LDL), and sometimes, I think I find this harder to do than restraining myself from that mushroom pizza. Eggs, for example, would be perfect for a low-carb diet but I also cannot eat a lot of them. What I do then, for example, is use 1.5 egg yolk and 3 egg whites for my lunch omelette. Or those deep-freeze chicken nuggets which may have lower calorie and carb count, but is actualy very high in fat. I have given in a few times, I must admit, as well as eating those New York Pizza chicken wings in the station whenever I felt hypo-glycemia attack on its way. The fat content makes me feel fuller faster (and longer), but yeah, I know it's not really the best choice. I've got a feeling that I didn't do very well with the cholesterol battle this quarter. Anyway, for the next check-up in November (which is the yearly check-up), I'll be having an extensive blood and urine test. The urin test is a first for me. Also, if I heard my nurse correctly, a foot test ;-p. Seems these are standard yearly tests for diabetics in Holland. Also the eye test which I had about 2 months ago. Results were fine, by the way. Anyway, must remember to pedicure and scrub before the foot test ;-p

Changes
I changed my diet a bit in the last 3 months: I started putting back more good carbs and every now and then, allowed myself delectable treats fit for a hobbit, like dinner or lunch with friends where I helped myself to some pasta and dessert. The nice thing with eating in restaurants is that the portions aren't huge -- or aren't hobbit portions anyway -- so there's no danger of over-eating. Besides, I try to compensate for that special event by being stricter with my diet a few days before and after. That always help with not feeling guilty or ruining the fun of those now rare but special times.

Since we're experiencing one of the best summers I've had in the Netherlands for the last 8 years, I've also been walking more. Whenever I go to Amsterdam to meet with friends I make sure I just walk to and from the station and just around the city. Again, another easy way to compensate for whatever extra nice treat I'd be having for lunch. However, I admit that physical exercise is the area I've invested the least in. I do the occasional cross-training, but only did that in July. Still not using my Wii Fit and in general, just staying home rooted in the sofa.

The most challenging change I've had to contend with though is unemployment. I've been laid off in late June and it has thrown me off balance. Less on the emotional side as I was thinking of exploring other opportunities anyway, but it has made quite an impact on my eating habbits and level of phyical movement.

Before my problem was being too obsessed with work that I barely' ate at the office (which led to hypo-glycemic attacks and binging at the end of the day). Since taking on the challenge in January, I've made very significant changes in my behaviour and habbits at work. I've been eating properly (breakfast, snacks and all), drinking lots of water and just going up and down the stairs a lot. SInce getting laid-off though, I've lost control of my eating habbits. The whole of July up to now has been spent without breakfast, having late lunches, and drinking less water. I start 'working' at 7 a.m., which means reading my feeds, taking note of articles I can use for my other blog (Timi will share...), commenting on tweets, Facebook statuses, articles or researching and writing blog articles. Might sound simple, but blogging and keeping yourself updated in the social media world is very time-consuming. The same is true for searching potential job opportunities, writing cover letters and updating resumes. Luckily, I've finished the bulk of work needed for that, but still, keeping myself busy with job-hunting and blog management does make time fly a lot faster. So fast I look at the clock and it's already 12 and getting that light-headed feeling already. I pick up my iphone and play a game or two, and then woosh -- it's 1 p.m. and still no breakfast or lunch. The ironic thing is that I'm 5 steps away from the fridge and the kitchen. But because I know they're just right there, I keep on putting off for later getting some yoghurt or making an omelette.

When I do go to Amsterdam for an interview or appointment with friends, I try to eat some yoghurt or those low-carbs, no sugar biscuits in the train. That helps in giving me energy in the morning until I can have some proper lunch. It's a shame Slim-Fast is no longer available in the Netherlands (I had to buy my supply in the Philippines whenever I am there on holiday). My supply already ran out so have to check those other alternatives the grocery store have.

Another thing I will miss are those 'Not Guilty' ice-cream (no sugar). They used to be available at Albert Heijn stores, but apparently now, not anymore. Aargh, I hate it that there are so few products for diabetics in this country. Sure, not every "for diabetics' product is good, but I want to have the option to decide that for myself. I wonder why it's not readily available here unlike in the States? I mean, I'd still buy a low-carb, no sugar muffin if anyone was selling it. Isn't the diabetic market here big enough? Or is it really a totally different approach of treating the sickness and its maintenance? In any case, I want the decision to be in my own hands.

Anyway, this ramble has gone long enough -- and I still need to eat breakfast! ;-) So it's still good news, but have to start adjusting to my new structure in life and take control again of my eating habbits. My goal for the next quarter is to go down to 60 kg and 6 mmol/l. Pretty ambitious, but will try to make it fun, if not bearable ;-).

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your excellent quarterly blood glucose results! Would you believe that we are neck and neck?! My last A1c result was 5.5 which equates to your 6.2 mmol/l. Of course the American medical profession has to do it differently than the rest of the world! *rolls eyes*

    If we are going to exchange recipes -- and how could one hobbit turn down another? --- we shall have to find an online metric converter for baking and cooking).

    I had one your beers from The Netherlands when I was vacationing in New Zealand in 2003. Hobbits do love their beer! The hobbit bath song even has a lyric about beer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, i just learned that the mmol/l is the standard used here in europe and in other countries like the usa (or the philippines) it's something else. mg/dl, right? like 7.0 mmol/l would be 126 mg/dl. my mom also has type 2 and i can never get it in my head how to translate the figures when she starts reporting to me ;-)

    but that's great right? i mean, our results. it's not that high.

    i'm off oats for a month now, but might get bck to it once i lose 1 kg or 2. i've got no problem with it but it's just me experimenting how to kinda jumpstart weight loss. am going for the slow but steady loss of course. at the minimum, my goal's not to gain weight. ;-)

    i love blueberries! i used to have them all the time with my oats. but yeah, i've cut out fruits for a month now but will start on them again.

    so how do you beat the hunger and the cravings? i always have cheese or cherry tomatoes and nuts close at hand ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you still blogging about your diabetes? If yes, where have you moved your blog to?

    ReplyDelete