Sunday, March 8, 2009

Sunday meal

It's almost 12 noon and still haven't eaten anything yet. Well, I woke up just an hour ago, so I guess that's ok. One thing I'm beginning to learn about diabetes is that a regular eating schedule is a lot better than skipping meals, as the latter will mess up my insuline levels (or something like that ;-p ), and that it will actually help me in losing weight.

I've been on a no-carbs diet for 2 weeks now (ala-South beach) and for a bout 2 weeks before that, was already starting to cut down on my carbs intake. The ironic thing with me going on diet is that I actually eat regularly (5-6x), unlike when I'm not on a diet, I tend to not eat at all during the day. The last 2.5 years saw me being obssessed with finishing my work that I kept putting off eating (even peeing!) until it's almost the end of the day. I'm at work around 8 and aside from a coffee or juice in the morning and nibbling on cheese, I only got to eat around 4 or 5. And then it would be just cup-a-soup or a peanut butter sandwich. I rarely went out to get lunch. This bad habbit made me get hypoglycemia attacks and it also made me gain weight. Since my energy level went down consistently during the day, by the time I reached the station I'd feel the 'shakes' coming on (hypoglemic attack) so I often ended buying pizza slices or those fried snacks. Night time saw me feeling all tired and thinking I needed some sort of reward, so I tended to eat lots more than what I'd usually eat. Also, it was an important ritual for me to have a good dinner since it was the only meal during the week that I got to share with Martin, my husband.

Now I'm trying to turn things around. Have two objectives until May (which is when I'll be doing another blood test to determine if I go on medication or not): lower my glucose and cholesterol level, and try to lose weight responsibly while I'm at it ;-). Friends keep telling me it's not about losing weight per se, and I totally get that, but I just wanted to jump-start my system, so I decided to adapt South beach diet for the last 2 weeks. Meaning no bad carbs (bad carbs = good stuff like pizza, pasta, rice, bread, potatoes... sigh), loads of veggies and protein. I also make sure to eliminate fat in my dishes -- just the bad sort, though, so I'm ok to eat nuts and salmon and all those other sources of omega-3 fatty acids.

Ok, 'nuff said for now. Gotta go make breakfast, or brunch in this case. It's quite challenging to hold on to planning and making my meals. This last week wasn't planned well enough so the statisfaction level I got wasn't as high as the previous week. But I'll be getting groceries tomorrow, so will make sure I know what I'm gonna cook for this week to get all the right stuff and not end up with some boring meal at work.

Brunch for today would be: mushroom and tomato omelette (1 yolk + 3 whites), cottage cheese, yoghurt (with phytosterols) and some nice refreshing water. ;-)

Later in the afternoon, one Slim Fast shake. Forgot to get cherry tomatoes and nuts, my usual nibbles ;-(

For dinner: 'Bistek Tagalog' (Beef fillet and calf liver marinated in soy sauce and cooked with lots of onions) and sauteed beans. This would've been perfect with rice -- guaranteed to make you want to eat more rice actually, but I'm substituting rice with the stringbeans. That crunchy taste would do me good.

No comments:

Post a Comment